Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Kickoff Week: Veggie Wraps


Half of the fun of tailgating is snacking on delicious food all day.  My mom is a master tailgater.  She has all kinds of recipes and pairs them all well.  For the cold games there's always at least one soup.  If I'm at the tailgate, there's always my favorite cookie--the peanut butter ones with a Hershey kiss on top.  Today though I'm talking about those cute little things up above--veggie wraps.  I love having these at tailgates because they are bite size, yummy, and actually not too bad for you.  I know, health really isn't on the mind when tailgating, but with these, you don't have to feel bad about eating them all day.

So here's what you need:
  • 1 large broccoli crown
  • 1 jalapeno--diced
  • 5 green onions--diced
  • 1 red pepper--diced
  • 1 yellow pepper--diced
  • shredded cheese (your choice, I use a mix)
  • Soft tortillas (I'm partial to the Mission Carb Balance ones)
  • Italian dressing dry package
  • 16 oz. cream cheese (I'll normally do low-fat)
Basically once you get everything chopped up, it's super easy.  Make sure any liquid is drained from the vegetables. 



Mix the cream cheese and dressing and then slowly add in vegetables. 

 
Then you spread the mixture on the tortilla.  Make it about 1/4 inch thick, but after you make it once, you can just do it to taste.  Once the mixture is on the tortilla, sprinkle it with the shredded cheese.
 
 
Then you want to roll it up tightly.  It can get a little messy because the cream cheese will want to squeeze out. 
 
 
Afterwards, you can wrap it in saran wrap or not.  My mom wraps it, but I don't.  I didn't feel like it made a difference.  You then want to refrigerate the rolls for awhile until firm.  Often I prepare this the night before, and let them refrigerate over night.  You can really do it for as long as you want.  Once you're ready to take it out of the fridge, slice them.  The longer in the fridge, the easier it is to slice.  Then EAT, enjoy the day, and yell for your team!



2 comments:

  1. " It can get a little messy because the cream cheese will want to squeeze out."

    The most beautiful sentence in the English language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is right up my alley and looks so amazing!

    ReplyDelete